We eat a lot of beans round these parts. A lot. Almost as often as we eat green stuff. What can I say? They’re protein-filled-yet-still-kinda-carby-gems that come in so many varieties that I’m never bored. And at less than $1-2 a pop, you should definitely get on the bean train if you’re not already. They’re perfect for carnivores, vegetarians and vegans (Paleo get a pass) and there’s no shortage of recipes out there.
- Braised lentils with mushrooms and kale: My sister gifted me with Date Night In, the cookbook from Ashley Rodriguez of Not Without Salt. As the name suggests, it’s filled with menus that are fitting for a date night in with your significant other. Still, there are a few that are doable during the work week—this is one of them.
- Butternut squash and turkey chili: This is one of my favourite chili recipes and a staple in my winter cooking repertoire. It’s doable from M-F thanks to canned goods and pre-cut squash.
- Roasted baby carrots and quinoa salad: This recipe hails from my favourite Aussie cooking show, My Kitchen Rules (MKR). While most of the food they cook is (obvi) not designed for commuters, I’ve found that this salad is a perfect complement to most proteins. And the chickpeas mean it’s fulfilling enough for lunch too. 2-for-1.
- Kale and chickpea curry: This is the first of a few Indian-inspired recipes in this list and with good reason: it’s got flava (four cloves of garlic will do the trick), comes together quickly and is even appropriate for a detox. Huzzah.
- Turkey and bean burritos: My friend Melissa introduced me to this recipe given my love of all things Mexican and cheesy. Bonus? It’s kid friendly.
- Sweet potato and portobello mushroom quesadillas: Oh hey there…the first recipe from yours truly. I whipped these up for Cinco de Mayo (splurging on the $3 can of black beans!) but they’re pretty perfect any time of the year.
- Sweet potato and white bean korma: The sweet potato + Indian food trend continues with this recipe…trading chickpeas for white beans and adding in another fan fave: kale! What’s not to love?
- Tex-mex taco salad: More Mexican and a recipe that played heavily in our rotation back when I had easier and cheaper access to black beans. Why? Cuz it’s super easy and features all the good stuff (avo, cheese, beans, veggies).
- Spicy scampi with rosemary cannellini: I likely found this recipe when I was trying to find a home for fresh rosemary (as I often do) but so glad I did! The rosemary, tomato and butter is a lovely combo but one tip—do NOT substitute the fresh rosemary for dried. Been there, done that, doesn’t work.
- Sweet potato hash with giant white beans and kale: Last but not least, another from yours truly. And of course, I’ve paired it with a few of my other faves, the mighty sweet potato and trusty kale.
So that’s it from my end. What are your favourites? I’m always on the hunt for new additions so lemme know!